Update of my MikTeX portable on Win 7 failed this morning (Dec 24th, 2016). The error message is given below. Prior to that a lot of packages have been removed, obviously some critical ones among them as well. My offline DB was syncronized. Was my update too early or what might be the cause?
[Tex/LaTex] MikTeX update error
To allow the question to be closed I add my comment as answer:
There is no problem to install a normal MiKTeX without admin rights. Simply choose an installation folder where you have writing rights. (I wouldn't use
My documents but something like
C:\myprograms). The portable installation is only needed if you don't want to leave any trace on the PC, that means if you don't want to put something in the user profile.
Firewalls, proxy, VPN and other things can disturb the on-the-fly installation, package installations and updates from the internet. In this case you should download the packages by other means together with the two
miktex-zz-...-files, put them in some folder and use it as local repository for installations/updates (see e.g. MiKTeX: [...] does not seem to be a local package repository).
[Tex/LaTex] Miktex update wizard cannot connect after installing “November package refactoring” update
The problem was solved. Just in case someone happens, like me, to have an IE installation where the Let’s Encrypt root CA certificate is missing, here's what to do. You have two options:
download the certificate from Identrust Download Page saving it in a text file and importing it into the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" certificate store of your IE 11. Be sure to close all the ie windows before trying the update wizard and you should be running again.
if you have also a firefox installation, chances are that even if it's older than IE it will have the full certificate suite as detailed at the Let's Encrypt certificates page. It's called
Digital Signature Trust Co.and from it you can choose to export the
DST Root CA X3certificate. You can export it either in
.crtformat and import it into IE as above. If you export it in
.crtformat, double clicking it will invoke the ie certificate import utility directly.
If after installing the certificate you're still having problems, it's possible that your update, even if you don't get any error message, has gone awry and you have no other chances than uninstall and reinstall at least in my experience. Look towards the end of the cited bug for more tips.
Hope this can help someone to avoid the hassle of the certificate change of the "November update".
Analyzing mpm logs and miktex sources gives a hint that MiKTeX Update Manager incorrectly handles a situation when no proxy is set. So I entered the proxy (Connections Settings... button) (I used
uk11.frigate.org), after which the update process worked.