[Tex/LaTex] How to implement a jurisdiction biblatex entry type

biblatex

IANAL. But I want to cite one particular court decision. It's a German court and the complete code (or whatever you call that) for that verdict is: "BVerfG · Urteil vom 15. Dezember 1983 · Az. 1 BvR 209/83, 1 BvR 440/83, 1 BvR 420/83, 1 BvR 362/83, 1 BvR 269/83, 1 BvR 484/83 (Volkszählungsurteil)"

Needless to say that I have no idea what all these reference numbers mean. I was hoping that someone already had implemented the jurisdiction entry type that biblatex only provides as "unsupported".

Yeah, Plan B is to just paste that stuff in misc and stop caring. But, you know …

Best Answer

Well, this sure ain't pretty but maybe someone will improve on it. Not me. To me this is just that tiny bit better than just using misc and I don't need more. This is based on biblatex-juradiss and I kept the German comments. The fields are explained in the German biblatex-juradiss documentation. Well, this is optimised for German court decisions anyway so maybe this is not too catastrophic.

\DeclareBibliographyDriver{jurisdiction}{%
  \usebibmacro{bibindex}%
  \usebibmacro{begentry}%
  \newunit\newblock
  \iffieldundef{usera}%Urteil oder Beschluss
    {\nopunct}
    {\printfield[default]{usera}\space%
  of\space{}the\space}%
  \printnames[default]{author}%
  \space{}from\space\usebibmacro{date}%
  \newunit\newblock
  \printfield[default]{userb}% Aktenzeichen
  \iffieldundef{userc}%Primaere Fundstelle (Name und Jahr) vorhanden?
    {\nopunct}
    {\space%
      \printfield[default]{userc}}%
  \iffieldundef{postnote}{%Angabe einer konkreten Fundstelle?
    \iffieldundef{userc}{}{%
      \addcomma\space
      \printfield[default]{userd}}% Erste Seite der primären Fundstelle 
    \iffieldundef{journaltitle}{}{%Sekundäre Fundstelle vorhanden?
      \addspace\mkbibparens{%
        =\space%
        \printfield{journaltitle}\space%Zeitschriftentitel
        \printfield{usere}\addcomma\space%Zeitschriftenjahrgang
        \printfield{pages}}%Erste Seite der Zeitschriftenfundstelle
    }%
  }%
  {}% 
  \iffieldundef{userf}{}{%Entscheidungsname vorhanden?
    \addspace\printfield[parens]{userf}}%
  \newunit\newblock
  \usebibmacro{url+urldate}
  \usebibmacro{addendum+pubstate}%
  \setunit{\bibpagerefpunct}\newblock
  \usebibmacro{pageref}%
  \newunit\newblock
  \usebibmacro{related}%
  \usebibmacro{finentry}%
}

According to the documentation you need this in a biber.conf file that is put next to your document. For me, the file is read by biber but it does exactly nothing at all.

<map>
  <bibtex>
    <globalfield>
        decision            usera
        sign                userb
        officialvolume      userc
        officialpages       userd
        journalyear         usere
        decisionname        userf
    </globalfield>
  </bibtex>
</map>

Thus for the example in my question I used this entry where all user* fields are present twice, hoping that maybe one day I can remove the cryptic ones.

@JURISDICTION{bvg1983,
  author = {{Federal Constitutional Court of Germany (BVerG)}},
  decision = {Judgement},
  usera = {Judgement},
  sign = {Az. 1 BvR 209/83, 1 BvR 440/83, 1 BvR 420/83, 1 BvR 362/83, 1 BvR 269/83, 1 BvR 484/83},
  userb = {Az. 1 BvR 209/83, 1 BvR 440/83, 1 BvR 420/83, 1 BvR 362/83, 1 BvR 269/83, 1 BvR 484/83},
  owner = {cmertes},
  urldate = {2012-10-11},
  language = {german},
  url = {http://openjur.de/u/268440.html},
  urldate = {2012-10-11},
  date = {1983-12-15},
  decisionname = {Volkszählungsurteil},
  userf = {Volkszählungsurteil},
  timestamp = {2012.10.11}
}

This produces the following result. For everything else, I take no guarantee. But please correct any mistakes I made because BibLaTeX is very new to me.

resulting bibliography entry

Related Question